|Owner(s):||Charles and Frances Fitzgerald|
|Address:||23 Albany Street|
Welcome to Valley Laundromat and the Fitzgerald Building
Valley Laundromat had initially been established in the 1970's as Zeeline Laundromat and was located in the small Albany Street commercial plaza presently containing Kelly's Meat Market and Family Dollar. Daniel Ruffo and his father Louis purchased Zeeline at some point and in 1993 they sold their business to Charlie and Fran Fitzgerald. The Fitzgeralds had recently moved back to their hometown from Virginia. At the same time, the future Fitzgerald Building was owned by Peter Rovazzi. The Fitzgeralds moved their laundromat into the building in 1993 and operated under a lease agreement until 2006 when they purchased the building from Rovazzi.
The building was constructed in the 1920's by the Ford Motor Company which granted a Ford sales franchise to P.E. Whitcomb in 1926. It was operated as such until World War II. After the War, the building was owned by Sam DiPiazzi who operated Sam's Super Service. Rovazzi purchased the building from DiPiazzi. At one point, Niagara Mohawk operated a vehicle repair shop and office in the Main Street portion of the building. The White Rose Bakery was also located in the Main Street portion of the building for a number of years.
In 2010-11 the Fitzgeralds carried out extensive renovation efforts on their building, including the installation of of 1920's era style windows. For their efforts, they received Preserve Our Past's 2011 historic preservation award. The building now has a handsome historically appropriate appearance that nicely anchors the commercial neighborhood.
: Presently, the Fitzgerald Building contains five businesses, four of which are profiled in other parts of this business directory. Charlie and Fran pride themselves on the cleanliness and customer service which their laundromat provides to the general public.